Sunday, July 19, 2026

Unpowered Flowers

 Not too long ago, I purchased a Konica Hexanon 35mm f/2 lens to use with my mirrorless Canon R6 Mark II.  I bought this lens on eBay, paying a premium price for the cosmetic condition and desirability. Here's a short review from the Lens Legend web site:

Konica Hexanon AR 35mm f2 is a premium lens from the Konica AR lineup. A whole stop faster than the other 35mm, it was more expensive, and therefore now much rarer to find.

I took some backyard flower shot with this lens today.  I think the results are quite nice.


It's a Candy Cane Zinnia, also known as a Peppermint Stick Zinnia.  The little photobomber is in pretty good focus, too.

Here's a volunteer sunflower that grew up under one of the bird feeders.


Both of these images were shot at a 1/60 per second shutter speed and at an ISO of 100.  Unfortunately the Fotodiox AR - RF lens adapter doesn't record the aperture setting, but I recall setting the diaphragm at 5.6 for this shot.

The following shot is an inset of an orange Zinnia angustifolia taken at 400th of a second and 100 ISO.  All of these shots were handheld.  I cropped down on the orange zinnia to show off the sharpness of this lens:

If I shot using a tripod, I'm certain that this would be in better focus.  Of course, the breeze didn't help either.

Because vintage Konica SLR glass has one of the shortest flange focal distances of its era, it could never be cleanly adapted to older DSLRs. However, it works flawlessly on the mirrorless Canon R6 Mark II.

No comments: