Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tall Anemone

I almost missed the Tall Anemone (Anemone virginiana) hiding in some even taller growth along the Mon River rail trail south of the Hildebrandt lock & dam.

I took a reference shot with the leaves to help identify the plant.  Although it is blurry, I'm including it here:


The leaves are the smaller ones, which look like parsley, in the bottom-right.  All of the larger leaves belong to some larger plants that were growing all around it.

The blooms are  fairly small.  They seemed more yellowish, but I finally identified this plant in the white blooms section of my old field guide.


Interestingly, one of the other names for this plant is tumbleweed. This is because the fruit resembles a tumbleweed in that it is wind-dispersed and tumbles.

No comments: