Previously, I shared an Adobe Illustrator drawing that I was thinking of using as a subject in the framing/matting course that I'm taking.
I showed it to one of my Ukrainian friends, and her daughter made lots of useful suggestions. As a result of the suggestions, I completely overhauled the color work of the original, collapsing a variety of disparate colors into a very limited palette of art history colors. The results are not unpleasing.
First of all, the daughter thought that the white background of the original was too glaring. Rather than fussing with mat color schemes and conspiracies, the suggestion was to just use a harmonious background color and frame directly to that. After experimenting with the creamy-yellow color that's in the flower petals, I tried the green that's in the leaves. That received several thumbs-up.
I just ordered an 8"x10" print through Superior Photo. I can't wait to make this one of my first framing projects. Prior to this, all of my classwork has been with cutting mats. That experience has been frustrating, to say the least. It was almost an epiphany for me to realize that I didn't have to mat this particular work.
Bang, bang! Maslow's hammer came down upon my head.