Monday, April 30, 2012

Won't Get Fooled Again

The Golden Ragwort (Packera aurea, formerly named Senecio aureus) has been an absolute pain in my ass.  Yesterday, April 29, was the third time that I've tried to get a decent picture of it.


My first attempt to get a shot of this native plant was several weeks ago, near Little Falls, when I found a solitary specimen of this plant growing on a damp embankment along the Mon River rail trail.  Unfortunately, I had no idea just how damp that embankment was!  When I jumped across to what I had hoped would be somewhat dry ground, I instead managed to sink my foot into some deep muck that sucked the running shoe right off of my foot.  I gave up on a picture, and I biked on for another 45 minutes with dampened spirits.  Later, I was able to hose off the shoes, but I threw away my socks.

By the time I had gone biking again, I found more plants growing in somewhat drier areas.  Unfortunately, however, it was breezy that day, and I didn't not get a single acceptable shot of this plant.  The little buggers would not stop moving about.

As they say, the third time is the charm.  Fool me twice; won't get fooled again.

No comments: