First a little background. Back in the summer of 2019, someone gave me a very unusual Polaroid SX-70 that was customized for scientific photography. Later, in September, I removed the customization hardware and gave the camera a new skin.
I then discovered that there was a problem with focus-to-infinity with this camera. You can see the problem with one of the shots that I posted on my Flickr account. Out to infinity, there has consistently been a bit of lens blur.
This brings me to a couple of weeks ago, when I searched for some repair solutions. Flickr came to my rescue with some basic instructions. All I had to do was remove the front housing rectangle around the lens opening. I was able to pry it off quite easily. Then I ran the focus out to infinity, where I could easily see the blur in the split screen focus. I depressed the "idler wheel" as described and with a very slight turn of the gear, I was able to regain the focus-to-infinity.
Although I have a fresh pack of film, I'm waiting until Spring, when there will be much more to photograph in color. I'm confident that I'll be able to achieve decent focus this time around.
Post a Comment