Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Flowers on the Rail Trail

I have yet to break out the bicycle this year.  Instead, I took advantage of a nice, seventy degree day to walk the rail trail up from Little Falls.

The right bank of the road going down to Little Falls always has clumps of Bluets (Houstonia caerulea).


This is a good year for them.

Once at the rail trail, I strapped a tripod on my back and grabbed my macro lens and ring flash.

The first flowers that I saw were Spring Beauties (Claytonia virginica), which were everywhere.  Here's an interesting shot of some poking through the leaves.  Unfortunately you can't see their foliage here, but you do get a relatively rare double-bloom.


Near an old coal mine portal, the hillside was full of Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria).


These look like they're being hung out to dry.

While looking unsuccessfully for Jack-in-the-pulpits, I did find some nice Trilliums.  Here's a close-up of the Red Wake-Robin (Trillium erectum):


There was also a more common White Trillium.  At first, I thought that they may be the white variety of the Trillium erectum, but I read that they are supposed to have dark purple gynoecium. I guess that makes this one a Great White (Trillium grandiflorum):


No comments: