Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Moon Shot

It was a clear, crisp evening, with a full moon and the promise of a hard frost by morning. 

My first attempt at photographing the moon was a dismal failure.  I went for aperture priority mode and ended up with overexposed shots at a variety of apertures and long exposure times.  A quick googling told me to shoot at ISO 100, f/16, 1/125 sec exposure.  Because of my camera sensor's aspect ratio of 1.6, the 200mm focal length of my telephoto lens gives me an actual focal length of 320mm.  Not quite a telescope, but as you can see, it's decent resolution.

That was my ticket to the moon.  Here are a couple of different shots with varying attempts at post-processing:

In the first shot, I used a combination of Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro (B&W conversion) at about 50% opacity to give it a touch of color.

This next shot is just straight Silver Efex Pro with a Plus 1N push:


It's your call as to which (if any) you like.  I'm leaning toward the first.

No comments: