Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Abort/Retry/Fail

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a little thing about sneezing -- or sneezures, as they have been called.  An article today in Eureka Alert, Allergies? Your sneeze is a biological response to the nose's 'blue screen of death' offers some insight.
Much like a temperamental computer, our noses require a "reboot" when overwhelmed, and this biological reboot is triggered by the pressure force of a sneeze. When a sneeze works properly, it resets the environment within nasal passages so "bad" particles breathed in through the nose can be trapped. The sneeze is accomplished by biochemical signals that regulate the beating of cilia (microscopic hairs) on the cells that line our nasal cavities.
Wouldn't it be amusing if one could associate the fatal error with an audible sneeze from the PC's speaker?  On the other hand, if I had a computer that rebooted like my nose, I think I'd toss it.

No comments: