When I tried installing the software, however, I encountered a dialog that said "Installation program of EOS utility requires administrator privileges." The problem was that I am the admin on this machine! I don't know what that difference is between my home and work environments that would cause this to happen. I tried the "run as administrator" command, and I tried compatibility modes.
When I googled the error message, I got one hit: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=9162655. The solution, which worked, by the way, is a doozy. Get a load of this:
- When you receive the error , DON'T click the "OK" button.
- Navigate to the following path: "C:\Users\admin-user\AppData\Local\Temp\".
- Inside this directory, you should see a directory named something like "CanonUPW_000". Copy this whole directory to another location.
- Then click "OK" on the installation program error on the screen (which removes the directory you just copied).
- Open the directory that you copied in the last step and navigate to the following location: ".\CanonUPW_000\INST\INSTALL\COMMON". You should find an "Install.exe" file in this directory.
- Open the properties of this "Install.exe" file, then select the "Compatibility" tab.
- Select the "Change settings for all users" button and select the "Run this program in compatibility mode for "Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
- Under the "Privilege Level" section, select the "Run this program as an administrator", then click OK twice.
- Execute the "Install.exe" file. The installation should start and finish successfully.